Saturday, 4 June 2016

In which I set new standards for behaving like a dork in public...

Last night I had the most incredible inspiring experiences. I met one of my all time literary idols and got to shake her by the hand and tell her how much her poetry has meant to me over the years.

Carol Ann Duffy was at Derby Cathedral , opening the book festival with her wonderful poetry reading (and musical performances by Jon Sampson who was also spellbinding). I went alone; I booked myself a ticket in January, part of my newfound confidence in doing things solely for myself.

Afterwards I queued up in the line for book signings, and explained earnestly to the person asking what dedications we wanted I didn't have anything for her to sign, I just wanted to thank her for a poem.

"Prayer" has been stuck firmly in my head for more than half of my life. It has carried me through some desperately wordless times. Her words have profoundly touched me and helped me come to terms with a sort of reverent faithlessness and faith-filled prayerlessness.

She grasped my hand, and I welled up with tears. Aaand then tripped over her table.

Fangirling level: incoherent babbling. It was certainly a memorable end to the night... When I recounted the tale to Jenna she put her head in her hands and then gave me a sarcastic round of applause.

6 comments:

  1. I have heard her read her poetry twice. She has written so many powerful poems which literally stop me in my tracks by their sheer brilliance. I was not very familiar with 'Prayer' but enjoyed re-reading it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't easily express just how profoundly I admire her, and love her writing. <3

      Delete
    2. I can't easily express just how profoundly I admire her, and love her writing. <3

      Delete
  2. I have a beautiful book by Carol Ann Duffy "The Gift" but must confess to not having read much of her poetry, I shall have to find some of her work. Have you any recommendations Sarah? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything! Jenna's favourite is The World's Wife. I have favourites in every collection. :)

      Delete
    2. Everything! Jenna's favourite is The World's Wife. I have favourites in every collection. :)

      Delete