Friday, 3 March 2017
On first journeys
It's a cold, damp, grey day. I put Morgan on a bus on her own for the first time earlier, and my mum just returned her home. These gradual transitions to independence seem different the second time around.
Morgan is so much steadier than Jenna was, but less articulate, less suspicious, less spiky, more vague. I used to worry most about Jenna deciding to take on a teenage boy for his use of the word "gay" as an insult between pals, or trying to run up the down escalator. Acts of bravado and inability to walk away from a challenge. This time around I worry more about Morgan getting lost, or walking face first into a plate glass door and giving herself a concussion. (All of these scenarios have occured in the past year.)
It was bitterly cold on my walk back to the house. I brushed off the what ifs with the light first drops of rain. She didn't even turn around to wave goodbye. But she did hug me when she walked back in, just now, with a huge smile.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Im putting this off with Rye, on the upside, he is nervous about goibg alone too.
ReplyDelete